Sunday, September 9, 2012

OOh kay...

Well, its been a crazy long time since I have updated anything on the blogs. I have 3 going right now, which is a bit extreme. Foxview will no longer be active, which is okay. It actually fits well right now.

I am indeed now an actual PA-C in NC. I am currently doing ED medicine- although if I said I was confortable in that role, I would be lying thru my teeth. I am not yet- FastTrack is getting better, but oh boy, do I get scared of things that really I should feel okay about when in the other areas...I do know, but still freeze. The Docs I work with are for the greater part amazing and supportive.

My last shift was really tough.. long long code, and the doc was tireless, and calm and wonderful about the entire thing. I was truly impressed by how he handled everything. Inspired even. Very grateful.

I have had several shifts where I have felt that I might have made the wrong decision and direction for my career. This was the boost that I needed right then.

I really enjoy the patients. Some are...tough. If you want pain meds, and are going to start telling me the "story", if I start yawning, I know pretty much you're not really concerned about the pain as much as the pain medication.  It's something I figured out I do with those sorts of patients. I fear that I might lose the sharpness that I need to miss the "oh f*(& what do I need to worry about in this presentation?" with those sorts of patients. As the adage goes, even crazy (or pill-addicted) patients get sick. Those are the tough ones.

I had a patient last week that really concerned me. I presented him to the MD and he was convinced that it was viral. I remained really concerned for some reason. This is the first patient that I ever called back after an ED visit. I called him at home the next day, he was up, had showered, and very thankful that I called. I reiterated again that he needed to come back into the ED if he began to feel worse. I signed his chart the other day, and looked him up. He came back 4 days later, and was admitted for CAP. I know that I did what I could, but still, was worried about him at the time and remained concerned, and I guess I need to develop and listen to that voice. The MD that admitted him is an excellent MD, and I know she gave him great care. That makes it better, but lord. Scary.

As far as the house goes, I have not done much really... learned how to mow- and how to A) break the zero turn, and B) get it stuck. Talent, I tell you! Talent!

No comments:

Post a Comment