Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 1

Wow....

This afternoon was started with suturing. My last sutures were put in-oh- months ago. Like EKGs, this (clearly) is something that demands practice on a daily basis.

Thankfully, that should not be an issue in the coming months. Today? Felt as if I had never sutured anything in my life. I admit feeling quite stupid. Two thumbs anyone-on one hand!

Lots of learning, pearls. More of those later.  I wish I had a notebook with me! I have so many things I wish I had written down!  I admit being tired, and so I am sure I have forgotten a ton.

Some pearls:

  • Allergies to lidocaine? Can infiltrate with benadryl
  • Careful of scalp wounds and excessive amounts of lido- can lead to "too much lido" because tissue is so vascularized. 
  • DOCUMENT sensory exam before blocking fingers/digits
  • Water is excellent for irrigation
  • numb before cleaning
  • Minimize debridment
Have to say it again, this is a totally non-pressured, enjoyable experience. 

The age ranges are extreme, really. Its about 5 PA's, 5 NPs and 5 MD's. One is as from far away as FL. Several from MI (Their practice paid for them to do the 2 year certificate as well as attending this workshop. Quite great bene's I must say!). Most are already in an ED practice, but there is one other brand newbie like myself here. 

I am thankful!


Tonight, dinner at a Japanese steal house. My favorite!

Sent from my iPhone
http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment